Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Music

Apparently writing prompts are pretty popular. I might as well do this one- It looks pretty fun! Songs are one of my favorite universes, after all.

A song from my childhood: All Star by Smash Mouth
A song that reminds me of my parents: (Mom) Mama Mia by Meryl Streep (Dad) Your Moma Don't Dance by Kenny Loggins
A song that calms me down: Apologize by OneRepublic
A song that is often stuck in my head: Crystallized by Lindsey Stirling
A song that reminds me of my best friend: Wonderwall by Oasis
A song that makes me hopeful: Electric Daisy Violin by Lindsey Stirling
A song by my favorite band: Shatter Me by Lindsey Stirling (Feat. Lzzy Hale)
A song on the soundtrack of my favorite movie: Discombobulate from Sherlock Holmes (I don't have a favorite movie, so I chose one of my favorite soundtracks)
The last song I heard: Midnight by Coldplay
A song I love singing along to: Counting Stars by OneRepublic
A song that has made me cry: All About Us by He is We
A song I love but rarely listen to: Stolen by Dashboard Confessional
Favorite song: Wonderwall by Oasis
A song that someone has sung to me: Wonderwall by Oasis
A song I cannot stand to listen to: Car Radio by Twenty One Pilots
A song I could listen to all day: Sail by Awolnation
(Inspired by comeondreamer-timetofly.blogspot.com)

But I refuse to leave it at that. I mean, have you ever stopped and thought about what music is?

Music is a way of defining and expressing ourselves. Down here in Texas, at least, we all have that one friend who is always wearing cowboy boots, a cowboy hat and a plaid button-up shirt. And what music is that person always listening to? Country, duh! Now, I'm not much of a fan of country music, thus I don't even own a pair of boots, let alone a cowboy hat.

But I think we often forget that music isn't just something that you listen to- it's something that's written. All those rap, pop and country songs were written by someone. One of the songs up in my list is named Car Radio by Twenty One Pilots. While I honestly can't stand the song, I would definitely recommend giving it a listen. My best friend and I were awed by the song simply because of the lyrics.

"I ponder of something great
My lungs will fill and then deflate
They fill with fire
Exhale desire
I know it's dire
My time today.

I have these thoughts
So often I ought
To replace that slot
With what I once bought
'Cause somebody stole
My car radio
And now I just sit in silence."

Now, keep in mind, this song has no religious standpoint whatsoever. And yet, this man, this poor, poor man, knows that his time today is dire, but hasn't figured out why yet.

Cause somebody stole my car radio and now I just sit in silence.

This line gives me shivers. Somebody took the music, his block from the thoughts that differed from the world, and now he just sits in silence. And what do you do when you sit in silence? Think. He reaches out- He knows that there has to be more to this life of wake-eat-work-eat-sleep, but he can't quite make it.

What more can we do with our words? Where do our questions go? How do we let the world know what we've wondered our whole lives?

Music.

2 comments:

  1. Don't diss twenty-one pilots. ;) I did almost have a heart attack, though, when you said that you can't stand to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can stand to hear it, I just can't stand to LISTEN to it (implying that I'm the one initiating the listening) ;D

      Delete