Friday, July 25, 2014

Dreams

Have you ever stopped, looked around, and hoped that you weren't dreaming?

I've always thought dreams are so amazing. To be completely honest, I can't dream. It just doesn't come natural- if I want to dream, I have to try. This inability really stinks because that means that the only way that I can dream is if I learn how to lucid dream, which I don't have near enough time for. However, it does make for really peaceful and fast sleep!

But what is a dream? A dream is a series of thoughts, images and sensations happening in a person's mind during sleep. They can be clear but confusing or vague but understandable. But the single characteristic of dreams that makes them all the more worthwhile to me is that the senses that shouldn't be active dream too. Maybe you've woken up from a dream screaming and sweating? Did you ever think about how long you must have been sweating if you were that drenched? Or maybe you've woken up hugging a pillow or stuffed animal? How in the world did you even find the darn thing?! Or if you're like me—can't REALLY dream, but have "visions"—you hear things that you really should not have heard.

On many a morning, I've "woken up" when my mom came up to tell me to get ready for the day. But as soon as she starts talking, I'll say something like "Wait, so did Daddy ever find the fish?" or "What time did you say we're leaving for the circus?" I think she's just used to it now, but I still do it any time I got to bed too late. So even though I can't actually remember my dreams, I almost guarantee you that I had some conversation about going to the circus or helping my dad find the fish during the middle of the night.

Ok, so maybe my dreams are a bit weird. I don't remember seeing, hearing or feeling anything, but I can feel the effects of them. But there is that rare, miraculous occasion in which I do dream. And let me tell you, when I dream, I dream. I had a dream when I was in third grade that I still remember it to this day. I actually wrote it down in a notebook and I filled almost 4 pages with my third grade writing. I have maybe four total dreams that I can actually remember, but honestly, they're all insane, to say the least. But what makes them insane is what I saw. I SAW things. But I happen to know for a fact that I sleep with my eyes closed, and even if I didn't, I still wouldn't see a whale chasing my family through the house (it happened, I swear.)

You see, we see things when we're asleep. Memories? Maybe. De ja vu? Possibly. Enhancements of reality? Almost certainly. We see real things even though they aren't really there. So what makes you think that we can't see things better, even when they are really there? Why do we always have to see life as a dismal, dreary place when we can go to sleep and ride jet black mares over Scottish hills and country side? What makes it so much easier to escape real world problems that we care about while we're awake when we go to sleep? Is it the effect of the moon's beams on our skin? Is it the effect of the change in gravitational pull, even to the slightest degree, causing the same effect as high and low tide?

No, the reason we can see things while we're not awake is because we stop worrying about the small things. The things that make life miserable- pain, annoyance, angry thoughts: these all go away when we're asleep. So instead of focusing on all the little things that make life worse, why don't we enjoy the other little things that make it better?

Sing your favorite song

Play your favorite game

Dance with your best friend

Maybe even break the walls
Between
Universes.

No comments:

Post a Comment